Sequoia helps daring founders build legendary companies from idea to IPO and beyond. We spur founders to push the boundaries of what’s possible. In partnering with Sequoia, companies benefit from 50 years of accrued knowledge from working with founders like Steve Jobs, Larry Page, Brian Chesky, Tony Xu, Patrick Collison, Adi Tatarko and Jack Dorsey, among many others.
In aggregate, Sequoia-backed companies account for more than 25% of NASDAQ’s total value. From the beginning, the vast majority of money we invest has been on behalf of nonprofits and schools like the Ford Foundation, Mayo Clinic and MIT, which means founders’ accomplishments make a meaningful difference.
As Social Media Director, you will design a social program to inspire founders to build with Sequoia, and to show the broader world what we’re excited about. This is both a strategic and a creative role reporting to the Senior Director of Content. You will work closely with teams across the firm from Content, Communications, Community, Experiences, etc, as well as investment partners. You’ll engage digital communities in conversations about the most important opportunities startups are addressing today.
* Create overall social strategy for engaging and attracting the next generation of outlier founders, including social-first creative, content distribution, platform approach, etc.
* Produce creative multimedia assets to bring ideas and news moments to life (short-form video, etc)
* Work with Communications team to amplify news moments around new investments, company milestones, etc
* Manage organic and paid distribution of our editorial content
* Build organic engagement in digital communities; actively manage conversations
* Increase discoverability for our partners by organizing AMAs, live video, etc
* Help drive awareness for (and distribute content from) Sequoia events
* Lead social listening to gain audience insight, track performance and monitor important trends/ conversations
* 7+ years experience leading social media, preferably in technology/ startups
* Strategic thinking; experience designing a multi-faceted program end-to-end
* Execution-oriented; this role will require rolling up your sleeves and writing copy, jumping into conversations, etc
* Highly creative; adept at the visual language and communication styles of each social platform, and ability to create in the media formats native to different platforms
* Critical thinker; ability to spot opportunities to start conversations or add to them and bring our brand to life
* Ability to understand what resonates with the founder audience and communicate authentically in a way that connects
* Experience working with Communications teams; ability to communicate quickly and modulate tone to the current news climate while staying authentic to brand voice
* Experience working with social analytics platforms; ability to assess vendors and make recommendations
* Metrics/Data-oriented; experience evaluating performance metrics, establishing benchmarks, analyzing data for audience insights, etc
* Curious mind; this is a role about what’s possible in the world, and what’s being built to achieve it. Relentless curiosity about people and possibility are strongly encouraged.